Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My response to Anita Perry

Below is a copy of an e-mail that I found in my inbox this morning. It is from Anita Perry asking for my support of her husband Rick. I was furious when I first read it however I have decided that I will post my response here instead of sending a flaming e-mail back to them. The public should know about this.

A Special Message from Anita Perry, First Lady of Texas:

Dear Fellow Texans, With only 71 days before the November election, I am writing to you today to ask you to join Rick and me as we take this campaign all the way to victory on November 7. Rick not only needs your vote, we need you to get involved! Now is the time to join the effort, join the team and join the conversation. That's why I am personally asking you to join the Perry Alliance Network and become a member of this statewide grassroots network of Texans who support Governor Perry. The Perry Alliance Network will allow you to keep up with the day-to-day activities of the campaign, access critical information and campaign materials and even participate in the non-stop Perry Blog that has our campaign staff and Perry supporters active and informed from early morning until late at night. If you're proud that Rick has fought to increase education funding by $9 billion and given a $2,000 pay raise for every teacher; if you're proud that Texas has gained over 630,000 new jobs in three years and our job climate has been ranked #1 in the nation; if you're proud that, instead of waiting for Washington to do its job, Rick ordered the most aggressive state-led border security initiative in America, then register your support today by joining the Perry Alliance Network. I have been asked by countless Texans what they can do to get involved with Rick's campaign. Joining the Perry Alliance Network is the easiest way to help ensure Governor Perry is re-elected and that Texas has four more years of principled, conservative leadership. Whether you simply want to register your support, participate in the Perry Blog, or take a more active roll by volunteering for the campaign, please take a moment to sign up by clicking here. This year, voters have the opportunity to keep a proven conservative as our Governor; a leader who is determined to continue leading Texas on the path to greater possibility and prosperity; a man of character who I have been proudly married to for more than 20 years. Please join me, and the tens of thousands of Texans from across the state who have already signed up, as a member of the Perry Alliance Network and help re-elect Governor Perry. Rick and I thank you for your support.


You know this is all so sweet, and friendly, however Mrs. Perry I have several issues with your husband and his "conservative leadership", and the grassroots support.

First HB-3 or as we true conservatives call it --Business Tax 06. This is the LARGEST NEW TAX that has been put into place since George Bush Senior and his tax in '90. This is most likely going to eliminate the 630,000 new jobs that have been created in the past 3 years and it will probably do it in less than half the time.

Second- Trans Texas Corridor is by far the biggest liberal land grab in the history of this state. The whole concept stinks of payback for corporate campaign contributions. And to me that is wrong. Why not work on fixing the current roadways in the state instead of building new ones. There is bound to be a way to improve on the transit corridors other than to take over 500,000 acres of private land and turn it over to a FOREIGN company for development and building? I mean look at the proposed costs of this. For that sort of money you could probably double the number of lanes on each of the freeways that are currently there and even turn them into express toll lanes and still spend less that 160 BILLION Dollars.

Third - You claim to be forming a grassroots organization, however you husband seems to be willing to ignore or at least only give lip service to the grass roots call for APPRAISAL REFORM. The committee that he has named, is a who's who of anti-appraisal people and lap dogs for groups like TML and other governmental entities. Add to that the fact that the most informed person with regards to the appraisal issue Paul Bettencourt was left off of the committee.

Fourth - Your husband despite reworking the current school finance issue, has again failed to deliver anything of substance out of it. Instead of putting some teeth into the reform, and providing both lower taxes and smaller government, he has followed the lead of one of the most liberal Democrats in the state, and done nothing to reduce my property taxes long term, nor do anything to curb out of control spending both at the state and school district level.

Fifth over the past 6 years that your husband has been governor, the state government and spending has INCREASED by almost 20%. Property taxes over that time have gone up over 35%, and there has been no leadership from him or his office. It is really sad when a know liberal democrat and Clinton supporter has both shown more leadership and willingness to try new things to solve problems than a "conservative republican". You may be wondering who that Liberal Democrat is? It is none other than Houston's own Mayor White.

There are many other reasons that I could list but I feel that this is enough to get my point across.

At this time I do not, nor will I support Governor Perry in his re-election bid. He has given me the man on the streets conservative a reason to do so. Be glad that I do not send you my full 2 cents worth...

2 comments:

Don said...

Very good post. I am in almost complete agreement.

Just haven't decided on who gets my vote.

But it AIN'T Perry.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Don & WT! Except I DO know who I'm voting for...Kinky Friedman! There are many reasons why, but, Perry will NOT get my vote because of the extremely underhanded political crap that he "accomplished" regarding the Toll Road Authorities in Texas which allowed him to partner (secretly) with Dubya, Mexico & Canada to build the TTC. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Even worse? The majority of Texans have NO CLUE about the TTC, let alone the HB that changed everything w/toll road authorities. Perry continually reminds me why I hate politicians.

From a native Houstonian & concerned VOTING citizen!