Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jim Butcher and the Dresden Chronicles

I am an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy books, the problem I have these days is the fact that I am very particular about what authors I will read. I am always willing to give an author a chance, that is how I found Jim Butcher, and his Dresden Chronicles. I was at the book store desperate to find some new reading material, since I really did not want to read the Lord of the Rings for the 10th time, when I found the first of Jim's Dresden series Storm Front. The first thing that caught my eye was the cover art, but then after reading the back cover of the book, I was intrigued.
Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things -- and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever.
There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.
Magic. It can get a guy killed.

So here I am with a story about a wizard in modern day Chicago, dealing with black magic, murder, mobster, and a police force that thinks he is a nut job. Well who would not want to read this, so the book went into my stack of potential purchases. After about another thirty minutes of perusing the shelves I had about ten books sitting in a pile on the table in front of me. I narrowed it down to four and bought them, Storm Front was one of the four. Later that day when I got home I picked up Storm Front and started to read. Needless to say I was not disappointed, right from the start the book grabbed me and did not let me go. This book was different, not only in the story line but also in the fact that the hero of the story is not someone who you would expect to be a soft touch, Dresden is as much a hard case as he is a cynic, yet at the same time you can see the very dry sense of humor come through. For example this little bit at the end of chapter 1...

Besides which. If I was someone in this town using magic to kill people two at a time, and I didn't want to get caught, I'd make sure that I removed the only practicing wizard the police department kept on retainer. I liked my odds on the stairwell a lot better than I did in the cramped confines of the elevator.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face
See what I mean, Harry Dresden is the type of character that you will either love or hate, plain and simple. But Butcher has not left Harry without suitable supporting characters, there is Bob, the spirit who is part frat rat, part encyclopedia for the arcane, Kerrin Murphy who is the Detective in charge of the Special Investigation unit of the Chicago PD, and there are many other people and creatures that cross Harry's path, both good and bad.

Butcher has nine books published in this series currently, and they have been so well received that he is now publishing in hardcover first. Another sign that the books have found an audience, is the fact that the Sci-Fi Channel now has a series based upon the books on Sunday nights at 8pm Central time. So if you are a fan of well written books and enjoy mysteries, and or science fiction, I would highly recommend this series.

1 comment:

Don said...

Well-written, bweldon.

I might actually read one of them, from this.