After writing my last article I started to think about what issues do the American Public see as critical to the future of the country that most politicians would not touch with a ten foot pole. You see there are issues that can be described as hot potato or third rail issues. These are issues that if you are a senator, congressman or a member of a state legislature, and you take them up and seriously try to push through changes, you are taking your political career into your own hands. Plain and simple these are things that if you make a wrong step you will be out on your backside maybe even before the next election. So here are what I see as the issues that can and sometimes kill the career of most conservatives.
1) Social Security Reform
2) Welfare Reforme - All types
3) Income Tax Reform
4) Immigration
5) Abortion
I know there are others but for the most part when ever a true conservative tries to make significant changes to any of these programs they are always walking on thin ice. And it is for that reason that I have always said that the best way to change these programs short of complete elimination is to make very small changes, that is how 90% of these programs were built and that is how they need to be dismantled as well.
But again this is a common sense approach to things and I beleive that those in Austin and DC lose that skill after being there for to long.
No comments:
Post a Comment