Well the weekend was going along nicely until about oh 11am yesterday when I realized that the AC unit out side was running but we had no air circulation. So out comes the phone book and a quick call to an AC company... Well I got two sorry but we will not be able to come out till tomorrows and finally broke down and called ARS. They had someone out at about 4PM and I found out some very interesting things. 1) My AC unit no longer had a warranty, because the maker went bankrupt about 2 years after I bought the house. 2) the controller board was burned out and it was going to cost $600 to replace.
Neither of these options was what I wanted to hear less than a month from both Christmas and Tax Payment time. But here I was, as ever home owner knows these things do not allow you to chose when they fail, you can only hope that you are lucky enough to catch them before they fail.
So I started thinking, what good is replacing 1 part on a 10+ year old system when another could fail later, the repairman also informed me that the heat exchanger and the burners were starting to show age. That alone forced my hand, I started talking to him about replacing the whole furnace unit, and that turned into replacing the whole system. So here I sit at home taking a day off from work (which is not that bad of a thing) in a house with no AC or heat, waiting for my new 12K AC system to be delivered and installed. I have this to say to the liberal eco freaks out there. I am doing my part for the environment, I am getting a 21 SEER unit that is using the new Puron® Refrigerant as well as being one of the quietest units in production . Also the duct work will be redone to fix some of the hot and cold spots in the house as well as the circulation issues that we have.
UPDATE #1 Well it is about 10:30 and the installers just got here. They are starting to work and it looks like I will be spending the rest of my day with clunks and bumps and such going on in my attic....
Updates to come as the install goes along
No comments:
Post a Comment