Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Fathers Prayer

Every night I check on you when you are sleeping
into your room I move trying to keep you from waking
I look down into your crib to and see you there
slowly my hand touches my lips and I pass a kiss
my hand moves slowly carefully down to feel you breathing
I hear you sigh feel you breath see you move
it is then that I can go knowing you are safe for the night
I say a prayer every time l leave you behind
I know the lord is watching over you
and every time I come home and see your smiling face
I know that the lord has blessed me for one more day
These days go by so fast and furious
it seems like only yesterday when you were born
I know that the time that has past can never be recaptured
I only have pictures and memories
the day you rolled over, the day you crawled, the day you stood up
the smile you always seem to have on
the bright eyes you have when you have awakened from a nap
the red eyes when you are not happy
the big sigh when I rock you to sleep at night
the wet shirt that I get when you are given a bath
the giggles as you chase the cat
the squeaks, and da-da and ma-ma, and all of the other sounds you make
the unconditional love that you have towards me
the unconditional drive that I have to protect you
the dirty shirt I get from feeding you dinner
the joy I get from seeing you grow
as you get older daddy will not seem wiser
but always remember that
no matter where you are
no matter what you do
you will always be daddy's baby girl
and I will ALWAYS LOVE YOU

No comments: