To whom it concerns:
I am a 38 year old father of 2 who has been a card carrying conservative Republican since I first heard Ronald Regan speak in 1979. However over time the party that I called home has been taken over by special interest groups, and single issue agendas. Let me make it perfectly clear to all those in positions of responsibility in the local, state, and national GOP organizations. I will not support you with money, time or anything else until you return to the conservative platform that allowed you to achieve the positions of power you have today. These conservative platform issues are the issues that Ronald Regan ran for president on. They are the contract with America that brought the Republicans to a majority position in Congress in 1994. You need to start to find and support candidates that will fight for the fiscal, moral, and political issues that the United States was founded upon. If you fail to do this you will be losing more than my support, you will also be losing the support of my generation. We are the foundation of your success, we are the ones who go door to door supporting conservative candidates. We are the ones who are in both our earnings prime of life but also still active enough to make a difference.
Wake up people, the further to the ultra right and the more single issues you support, the more you push us away. Not only that but the more like the Democrat party you become. President Bush, spoke of Compassionate Conservatism. I say we need more grass roots conservatism. Which means less government, lower taxes, and more efficient military. Wake up or you will be kicked to the curb and you will see more independents winning races all across the board.
2 comments:
I sent the GOP a letter about 5 years ago saying much what you have said.
I am tired of voting for the lesser of two spenders... especially when the lesser isn't all that much lesser anymore, and may even be greater.
Anyway, unless there are a lot more of us, I wonder if communicating such sentiments accomplishes anything.
Now, a bunch of us communicating a followup at the November polls will get their attention, but it will probably also get us a bunch of cut and run democrats making us lose the war on terrorism.
Which means less government, lower taxes, and more efficient military.
Starting in reverse order -- Don Rumsfeld was picked precisely to remake the military from a Cold War machine into a lighter, faster, more relevant military that makes use of technology. It can't happen overnight, but I do think he's addressing the issue.
As for lower taxes -- the Bush Administration has been a tax-cutting administration, far more consistent than the Reagan Administration (remember 1986's tax increase?). The Texas GOP, however, deserves plenty of criticism for the new business tax and for failing to hold the line on appraisals.
On spending -- yes, the Bush Administration could be better, although spending as a percentage of GDP compares decently with other administrations over the last 20 years. The Texas GOP has hardly been a spendthrift, though.
Post a Comment