Thursday, June 07, 2007

This crap has to stop and soon

I have been sitting back and watching what has been going on in Florida lately and I have had enough. No I am not talking about some political scandal involving Jeb Bush, or Kathleen Turner. I am talking about Billy Donovan, the onetime head basketball coach of both the University of Florida, as well as the Orlando Magic. As i said before in a previous post about how I can trust professional and college coaches about as far as you can throw them, I now am willing to move Donovan to the head of the class of liars, frauds and thieves. Here is a coach who after eleven yes eleven years at an institution, walks away for a huge contract to coach in the NBA. I have no problem with that, Donovan had a contract extension from the university in his desk drawer that he never signed. He had turned down other college coaching positions, and had said no to the NBA on at least two other occasions. So he decides to explore his options, and here come the Orlando Magic, a team that needs a good coach, and they throw almost SIX MILLION DOLLARS a year at the man. Only a fool would not look at the opportunity that was presented, however here is where Donovan, and many of the other frauds, go wrong. Instead of taking a couple of extra days and really going over the whole scenario with his family, Donovan apparently after only two days jumps at the money and the "prestige" of being an NBA head coach, then less than forty eight hours after he has signed his contract, and that is another mistake, Donovan tries to beg out of the contract. Here is a quote from Donovan on the whole fiasco.

"I realized in less than 24 hours after signing a contract with the Magic that I had made a mistake that had nothing to do with the Magic. Instead, I realized that, in my heart, I belonged in college basketball. As soon as I realized that, I contacted the Magic immediately to let them know. I have enormous respect for the Magic -- including the DeVos family, the management, the team and the fans.
"In these circumstances, it would have been entirely unfair to the Magic and their fans to have continued on. Although this has been a difficult time for everyone, for which I am profoundly sorry, in my heart I know that this is the right thing for the Magic and for me.
"It's my admiration for the whole Magic organization that led me to this course of action. I believe that the Magic has a great future ahead of them, and I wish them all the best."


All I have to say is BULL SHIT. I really am glad that as part of the agreement that was worked out there is a FIVE year no compete clause that keeps Donovan from being in the NBA. It does not preclude him going somewhere in the college ranks, however I really doubt that many Universities will want him now that they have seen that he is so willing to change his mind. I also hope that the new contract that he is about to sign with the University of Florida has some very stiff buyout/abandonment/resignation clauses in it, because the last thing they need is him bolting again and looking to come back.

Now I want to make one thing clear, Billy Donovan is a very bright and talented basketball coach, and he has proven that he can build a winning program at a school that for the most part is a football first athletic department. My issue is with the fact that as a coach, whether he likes it or wants to admit it, he is a role model for the young men that are on his squad. And his actions only show to those young men that contracts were made to be broken and that your word is only good until your feelings change on a subject. What sort of message is that sending? You tell me

No comments: